UK Sees Major Vinyl Revival as Amazon.co.uk Sales of the
Classic Format Grow by More Than 100% in 2013
Daft Punk’s ‘Random Access Memories’ is best-selling vinyl since 1999
Adele, 21 is the best-selling vinyl in the Midlands, the South and the East in the last decade, whilst in the Borders The Smiths are number one
Rock trumps pop and dance as most popular genre amongst vinyl buyers, accounting for over 55% of Amazon.co.uk vinyl purchases in 2013
Luxembourg, 12th August 2013 – Following steady growth since 2006, 2013 has seen a major vinyl revival with sales at Amazon.co.uk up by more than 100% compared to this time last year.
Daft Punk continue their chart domination this year, with their latest album Random Access Memories holding not only the top spot for best-selling vinyl of 2013 so far but also claiming the title of overall vinyl best-seller since 1999, when Amazon.co.uk launched its Music Store.
Other albums in the top twenty vinyl chart since 1999 include recent favourites by Adele and Amy Winehouse, indie rock from Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire, as well as seminal albums by Pink Floyd and David Bowie.
The top 20 vinyl best-sellers on Amazon.co.uk since 1999 are:
1. Daft Punk, Random Access Memories
2. Adele, 21
3. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black
4. David Bowie, The Next Day
5. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon
6. David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders from Mars
7. Arctic Monkeys, Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
8. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon (30th Anniversary Edition)
9. Arcade Fire, The Suburbs
10. The Beatles, Love Me Do (50th Anniversary Limited Edition 7” Single)
11. Radiohead, In Rainbows
12. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
13. Bon Iver, For Emma Forever Ago
14. Radiohead, Ok Computer
15. Micah P. Hinson, Micah P. Hinson & The Gospel of Progress…
16. PJ Harvey, Let England Shake
17. Kate Bush, 50 Words for Snow
18. Alt-J, An Awesome Wave
19. The White Stripes, Elephant
20. The xx, xx
[Click here for album artwork of albums featuring in the top 20 vinyl best-sellers since 1999 and a downloadable version of the top 20 chart].
Rock music is by far the most popular genre amongst vinyl buyers, accounting for more than 55% of vinyl sales on Amazon.co.uk in 2012.
[Click here for an infographic comparing 2004 and 2012 vinyl market segment share by genre].
Rock’s growing popularity amongst vinyl buyers can be seen in the top 20 vinyl sold on Amazon.co.uk in 2013 so far. This chart is dominated by rock in all its forms, including rock royalty Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie, indie darlings Vampire Weekend, experimental electro-rock supergroup Atoms for Peace, and alt-rock stars Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Heavy metal superstars Iron Maiden have racked up an impressive five entries in the top 20 chart.
The top 20 vinyl best-sellers on Amazon.co.uk in 2013 to date are:
1. Daft Punk, Random Access Memories
2. David Bowie, The Next Day
3. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Push the Sky Away
4. Black Sabbath, 13
5. Queens of the Stone Age, Like Clockwork
6. Atoms for Peace, Amok
7. Vampire Weekend, Modern Vampires of the City
8. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours
9. Alt-J, An Awesome Wave
10. Led Zeppelin, Celebration Day
11. Iron Maiden, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. Iron Maiden, Somewhere in Time
13. Iron Maiden, Powerslave
14. Boards of Canada, Tomorrow’s Harvest
15. Pink Floyd, The Dark Side of the Moon
16. John Coltrane, Blue Train
17. National, Trouble Will Find Me
18. Iron Maiden, Live After Death
19. Iron Maiden, Maiden England ‘88
20. Nick Drake, Bryter Layter
Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories also performs well in the top 20 best-sellers by region in the last decade, taking the top spot in London, the South West, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Central Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales & West, the North West and Northern Scotland. However, powerhouse Adele takes the top spot with 21 in the Midlands, the South and the East. In the Borders, it’s The Smiths’ Singles Box that takes number one. Please see Notes to Editors for top 20 best-sellers by region in the last decade.
Amazon.co.uk anticipates the vinyl revival to continue, especially in light of the recent launch of Amazon AutoRip, a new service giving customers free MP3 versions of CDs and vinyl music they purchase from Amazon. When customers purchase an AutoRip vinyl album, the MP3 version is automatically added to their Cloud Player library where they are available, free of charge, for immediate playback or download. Additionally, customers who have purchased AutoRip albums at any time since Amazon.co.uk first opened its Music Store in 1999 will find MP3 versions of those albums in their Cloud Player libraries – also automatically and for free. More than 350,000 albums, including titles from every major record label, are available for AutoRip, and more titles are added all the time – customers can just look for the AutoRip logo.
“Vinyl has traditionally been the music enthusiast’s format of choice” said Xavier Garambois, Vice-President, European Consumer Business at Amazon EU S.à r.l, “It’s great to see so many people rediscovering a format that holds such an important place in music history. We expect to see sales of vinyl continue to flourish with Amazon AutoRip, helping introduce new generations to this timeless format whilst giving our customers the convenience and portability of digital music.”
Visit the Amazon.co.uk Vinyl Store at www.amazon.co.uk/vinyl to browse more than 350,000 vinyl titles of all genres of music, from jazz to electronica.