In 2016, Imperial War Museums presents a rich programme of exhibitions and events, revealing and responding to the personal stories of those whose lives have been affected by conflict over the last century
- Reopening of the transformed American Air Museum at IWM Duxford, the historic airfield and aviation museum in Cambridgeshire (19 March)
- To mark the 75th anniversary of clothes rationing in Britain Fashion on the Ration will open at IWM North, Manchester (27 May)
- Major new film exhibition Real to Reel: A Century of War Movies at IWM London (30 June)
IWM London presents a series of free Art and Photography exhibitions;
- The first UK showing of Eleven Women Facing War, by award-winning British photographer and filmmaker Nick Danziger (4 Feb)
- Peace Signs by acclaimed photographer Edward Barber which features some of the iconic photographs of anti-nuclear protests in Britain during the 1980s (26 May)
- A major exhibition by artist-photographer Edmund Clark which explores hidden experiences of state control, touching on issues of security, legality and ethics during the ‘Global War on Terror’ (from 28 July).
Event Highlights Include;
- An overnight event at IWM London on 30th June to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of the Somme.
- Three Air Shows at IWM Duxford in May, July and September.
Key anniversaries in 2016 to be aware of include the centenary of;
- The military service act bringing conscription into force (2 March)
- The Easter Rising (24 – 29 April)
- The Battle of Jutland (31 May – 1 June)
- The Battle of the Somme (1 July – 17 November)
- The first use of tanks – at Flers Courcelette (15 Sept)
2016 also marks
- 25th Anniversary of Operation Desert Storm (17 Jan – 28 Feb)
- 20 years since the IRA bombing of Manchester City Centre (15 June)
- 80th anniversary since RAF Fighter Command was formed (14 July)
- The 15th anniversary since the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center (11 Sept)
- 75 years since America entered the Second World War after the attack on Pearl Harbor (7 December)